Sugar Well

Places to explore
parlington
PostsCOLON 59
JoinedCOLON Sat 31 Mar, 2007 4:58 pm

Postby parlington » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 1:39 pm

Jogon wroteColonCheers Parl - even more intrigued now So was the water flow was from the 'Woodhouse ridge' side? and not the 'Potternewton' / Buslingthorpe Lane? If you go on google maps then copy + paste the short URL, please. I'd assumed you had a capped well source out of the Potternewton Ridge. The Mill Stream (assume for power) was taken off just before the beck goes under Meanwood Rd - where the cricket pitch is now. This is basically the sustrans route through MVU Farm, the outfall was see pic into the mill then return to beck before Bus Ln bridge.
Yes the location for the water is coming off Woodhouse Ridge The location of the underground watercourse as it enters the Sugarwell site: http://plazz.me/~c3uT
Jogon
PostsCOLON 3036
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Dec, 2011 1:28 pm

Postby Jogon » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 2:26 pm

V helpful, thank you.
parlington
PostsCOLON 59
JoinedCOLON Sat 31 Mar, 2007 4:58 pm

Postby parlington » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 3:26 pm

Jogon wroteColonV helpful, thank you.
I don't recall exactly as it was years back but the water was contained in a large diameter pipe, which had sluice valves and what-not to control the use of the water into the old tannery. A side note, when we purchased it for less than £90K (Building plus 2.8 acres) there was a sign inside stating *BEWARE ANTHRAX*, since there were a number of areas where hides were stored for tanning!
Jogon
PostsCOLON 3036
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Dec, 2011 1:28 pm

Postby Jogon » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 4:01 pm

Hope you kept the sign.
Ah the good old days eh?

Michael Kavanagh
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Mon 31 Aug, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: Sugar Well

Postby Michael Kavanagh » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 3:55 pm

There used to be a Wind Mill at the top of Sugar Well Hill. Draw a line from it down the hill to Meanwood road and about two thirds of the way down there was hole about 30 feet diameter with a Spring in it, it was sweet water. The water flowing out had excavated the hole on its way down the hill to Meanwood Beck at the bottom.
tilly
PostsCOLON 1520
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Sugar Well

Postby tilly » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 8:36 pm

Welcome to S/L Michael.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Return to