THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5655
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Postby Leodian » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:29 pm

tilly wroteColonThe good old days not always good i would go back to them in a flash.They made me who i am we had almost nothing but has the saying goes what you never had you dont miss.You have to be of a certain age to understand what i mean, any one from a working class background and my age will know.Hope every one reading this are not crying there eyes out.He He.

When I was being brought up in the late 1940s to early 1950s in east Leeds you could always be sure that your neighbours could be trusted (at least where I lived). The outside door was never locked until last thing at night and during the day people would simply knock on the door and shout "it's just me" as they walked in or they would later say that they popped in earlier but no one was in. Milk in bottles could safely be left out until brought in (sadly often going off before it all got used!). Mum baked bread and left it on the outside to cool down and it was never pinched. We had a few hens that provided some fresh eggs and the hens often roamed all over the neighbours gardens but nobody ever minded. The taste of freshly laid light boiled eggs was far superior than shop bought ones (as also was the taste of freshly dug potatoes and podded peas but of course their season was very short). Things though move on as they should.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
tilly
PostsCOLON 1520
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:32 pm

Postby tilly » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 8:40 pm

I agree things must move on Leodion but people have changed and not always for the better.For instance you would never have found an old person dead in there house days or months after they had passed away.If the curtains were not opened at a certain time someone would be knocking on the old persons door to check if every thing was ok Never have i seen grave stones wrecked has can happen now, it was safe for people to walk day or night whatever the time.I am not saying every one is like this but it is not the world i was brought up in.I could write page after page of things that happen now that would never have happened in my day people might think im a moaning old git so be it.Here endeth the first lesson.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.
volvojack
PostsCOLON 489
JoinedCOLON Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Postby volvojack » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 8:49 pm

Hey Up tilly,
When as a kd we lived on the Gipton Etate my brother and i would walk up through Harehils Cemetary as a short cut to the Hillcrest Cinema. afterwards we would walk back through with the house and street lights shining off of the gravestones. a bit scary.
Nowadays i would not take that walk with an Armed Guard.
tilly
PostsCOLON 1520
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:32 pm

Postby tilly » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi volvojack You are right some of the younger end will say we are always moaning but they have not lived back in the day.A lot of things are much better but and that is a big but a lot are far worse.I put it down to money people who say they cant make ends meet have never known what it is like to have just about enough to subside on.You see it on tv people living in a hovel with a fag stuck in there mouth a fifty two inch tv kids playing on the playstation with a xbox on one side saying if it was not for the food bank we would starve whats that all about.?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack
PostsCOLON 489
JoinedCOLON Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Postby volvojack » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 3:41 pm

[quote="tilly"]Hi volvojack You are right some of the younger end will say we are always moaning but they have not lived back in the day.A lot of things are much better but and that is a big but a lot are far worse.I put it down to money people who say they cant make ends meet have never known what it is like to have just about enough to subside on.You see it on tv people living in a hovel with a fag stuck in there mouth a fifty two inch tv kids playing on the playstation with a xbox on one side saying if it was not for the food bank we would starve whats that all about.

tilly, That made me smile but Oh so true.
buffaloskinner
PostsCOLON 1112
JoinedCOLON Sun 01 Apr, 2007 6:02 pm
LocationCOLON Nova Scotia

Postby buffaloskinner » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 4:29 pm

It's called BENEFITS CULTURE for the non working class
Is this the end of the story ...
or the beginning of a legend?

Return to