'Twitching'

Your favourite days out round Leeds
stevief
PostsCOLON 701
JoinedCOLON Wed 04 Apr, 2007 4:26 pm

Postby stevief » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 10:36 pm

I know this is slightly beyond the Leeds boundary but...
Are there any bird watchers out there in the big wide world of SL?
I'm certainly no expert,just an interested amateur who keeps his eyes open when out and about.
I was on holiday last week and took my girlfriend to Sutton Bank to show her the finest view in Yorkshire.While walking along the footpath at the top we heard a rustling sound in the long grass.We approached with caution and saw,a couple of yards away,a Great Bustard.It ran away rather than flying and was the size and shape of a turkey with all the correct colours and markings.
IMO it can't have been anything else.I knew they'd been re-introduced in some parts of the country after being extinct for many years.It would make my day if someone could verify my sighting!
PC - Dublin
PostsCOLON 241
JoinedCOLON Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:40 pm

Postby PC - Dublin » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 10:59 pm

stevief wrote:
While walking along the footpath at the top we heard a rustling sound in the long grass.


Are you sure ye weren't in the long grass yourselves!!!    
Brandy
PostsCOLON 1550
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Feb, 2007 8:03 am

Postby Brandy » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 11:18 pm

You want to get yerself round gipton mate its full of Bustards lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those that don't.
Chrism
PostsCOLON 1825
JoinedCOLON Sun 20 Jan, 2008 8:26 am

Postby Chrism » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 4:05 pm

See here http://greatbustard.org/ there's some youtube footage too.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.


Lilysmum
PostsCOLON 531
JoinedCOLON Fri 28 Mar, 2008 12:31 pm

Postby Lilysmum » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 10:12 am

A pair of red kites have been in my area( guiseley) over the last couple of weeks. I have seen them quite regularly around the Pool,Arthington,Harewood area over the last few years since some were released as part of a breeding programme.But it's the first time I've seen them round here.
Si
PostsCOLON 4480
JoinedCOLON Wed 10 Oct, 2007 7:22 am
LocationCOLON Otley

Postby Si » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 1:17 pm

Lilysmum wrote:
A pair of red kites have been in my area( guiseley) over the last couple of weeks. I have seen them quite regularly around the Pool,Arthington,Harewood area over the last few years since some were released as part of a breeding programme.But it's the first time I've seen them round here.

I see them quite often over Otley. They are easily distinguishable by their size (big!), forked tail, accompanying crows, and lazy "bin-liner in the wind" flight!
tinks
PostsCOLON 21
JoinedCOLON Fri 14 Dec, 2007 3:39 pm

Postby tinks » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 2:52 pm

There has been a Red Kite flying over and around Seacroft/Gipton (brave bird) for the past few months, I live at Killingbeck (backing onto the cemetery) and I often see it chasing the tail wind of the swifts near us.

Did a bit of research and Harewood House succesfully bred a few breeding pairs and let them fly off into the wilderness.

My son (aged 11) loves to see it, and of ourse its great to see such magnificent birds flying so freely and happily nearby
raveydavey
PostsCOLON 2886
JoinedCOLON Thu 22 Mar, 2007 3:59 pm
LocationCOLON The Far East (of Leeds...)
CONTACTCOLON

Postby raveydavey » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 8:55 pm

tinks wrote:
There has been a Red Kite flying over and around Seacroft/Gipton (brave bird) for the past few months, I live at Killingbeck (backing onto the cemetery) and I often see it chasing the tail wind of the swifts near us.

Did a bit of research and Harewood House succesfully bred a few breeding pairs and let them fly off into the wilderness.

My son (aged 11) loves to see it, and of ourse its great to see such magnificent birds flying so freely and happily nearby


Rumour has it that there are a pair of Red Kites living on top of the flats in Gipton. Certainly I've seen them down that way and it seems to fit with your sightings.

I've seen them on Otley Chevin too, as well as around Harewood / Pool.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

DOBBO
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Sat 21 Feb, 2009 5:32 pm

Postby DOBBO » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 11:49 pm

Red Kites are now regularly seen over Knaresborough - presumably from their base in Harewood
All knowledge is important
simong
PostsCOLON 722
JoinedCOLON Sat 08 Sep, 2007 6:17 am

Postby simong » Fri 09 Jul, 2010 4:59 pm

There's at least one very active pair of kites around Harewood and they do cover a huge area, so Otley wouldn't be beyond them.

The great bustard is a recent reintroduction to the UK but I thought they were a bit further north than Sutton Bank. However, they probably travel too, so it's great that they have reached Yorkshire.

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1 and 0 guests